A newborn baby is nothing less than a boon and a blessing. Through all the pain, stress, confusion, frustration and even tears that new parents go through in the initial days, what remains a constant source of contentment and pleasure is the happy little being itself. The job is rewarding, albeit a rough and a tough one! It can push you to the edge, and new parents make sure they handle it all in the best way they can.
One of the coping methods for new parents is to seek help externally. However, this method of support that goes a long way to mitigating anxieties and stress that comes with caring for a newborn was thwarted due to the COVID -19 pandemic. Therefore, caring for newborns during COVID-19 has become a challenge doubly intensified.
Families have had to face numerous problems, be it financial or personal, due to the ongoing pandemic. The times are isolation where one cannot have extended family members come over to help and where one cannot go out to catch a break. All people have left is uncertainties, exhaustion and stress. However, there are a few sure–shot ways that one can adopt to take care of the new baby during a pandemic in a relaxed and control mode and create an environment that would foster their well-being to the best extent possible. Mentioned below are the tips that will be beneficial to new parents at every stage of the initial days of the baby’s birth.
The first stage is bringing your baby home during the pandemic. Earlier, what meant celebrations and coming home to a house full of well-wishers, now due to the pandemic became a risky affair. Of course, bringing home a new baby is joy in itself, but who wouldn’t want to celebrate the occasion with festivities? We have a few tips for welcoming a new baby during COVID – 19 with just as much positivity as having a socially distanced or even virtual one. Perks of living in a technologically driven era, no amount of distance is too far! This time could also mean that you don’t have to rush around to make arrangements for friends or family to meet the new baby. One can see this as extra time to bond with the new baby. The next stage is about how to parent a newborn during the COVID – 19 pandemics.
- The best thing that a new parent can do is: be attentive to yourself first and foremost: Taking your sleep schedule and getting the required amount of sleep, eating healthy and on time, and engaging yourself in other activities apart from childcare are all vital. These tiny conscious decisions will help the new parent stay relaxed, not tired but cheerful.
- Use technology the more you can! This cannot be stressed enough. Imagine you don’t have the additional responsibility to be driving up to supermarkets, pharmacies or restaurants for your daily needs. Didn’t that lift a tiny amount of burden off of you? Use apps that make it possible to have other people do these menial but necessary jobs.
- Maintain appointments: The gynecologists and the pediatricians are very important to you and your baby, respectively. The new baby must get the vaccines on time. The postpartum period could come with specific bodily challenges for the new mothers. By considering it, appointments should be seen through while taking safety precautions. For concerns that can be managed virtually, the digital mode should be used as hospitals and doctors considering the COVID – 19 times are providing with such a facility.
- Have limited visitors or, if possible, none at all: When it comes to COVID – 19, it is imperative to understand that the disease spreads through contact and those with weakened immunities, like a new mother or a newborn baby. The condition shows its symptoms 15 days after acquiring it. At which point, the virus has increased in number and is more robust. Instead of grappling for a cure at this point, why shouldn't be precautions taken at the very beginning itself? No doubt we will miss our loved ones, and they will miss us. But a safe distance is better to maintain.
Nature is the key! Pandemic has slowed the pace of life and given us ample opportunity to look around us a bit more and feel that keenly. When we do this, we find nature ready to soothe us. Go out in nature with the safety guidelines in mind like avoiding large crowds, wearing masks or using hand sanitisers most often. Besides, fresh air is always good for the baby. If there is a complete lockdown, then invest in a spot in your home and in a backyard that can let you and the new baby have some time amidst nature. Plan it for your and your baby’s sake.
- You are not alone! Repeat it again and again. You can still seek help and figure out ways to connect to people. One may do it through forums or have over friends or family members that are already vaccinated. In these times of pandemic, the trick is to figure out how to be done quickly with the corporation of friends and family.
Moreover, thanks to the modern world's technology, it is not like we are completely cutting off from our beloveds. We have Apps and computer software that allow us to talk to our loved ones and see them. The virtual world provides a connection with others at the touch of a finger.
COVID – 19 is an additional challenge, no doubt for what already had severe obstacles to it. But it can be dealt with without compromising on childcare or one’s mental health. With the tips mentioned above for coping with a new baby during COVID – 19, one will be able to do just so. Remember to be cheerful and full of energy and take steps to maintain these. It is the starting point to be able to take good care of the new baby.
A happy parent is a happy child!